FCS Football Scoreboard: Week 6

facebooktwitterreddit

I am glad that I do not pick Division FCS Football games. My record would be far worse than it looks right now. So this week, if I thought you were going to win, you lost. If I thought you might lose, you won, unless you are the Davidson Wildcats. Davidson had the game of the weekend, going 5 overtimes against Dayton to decide a winner. Which was Dayton.

The Camels beat their second Pioneer League opponent by getting out early. The Eagles tied it in the fourth quarter, but Dakota Wolf (good name) threw a 68 yd touchdown pass to Jared Joyner for the score with 4:16 left in the game. Wolf threw for 171 yards and rushed for 116 more.

Through three quarters this was sort of a ho-hum game with Dayton up 13-7. Then the scoring broke forth in the fourth quarter. Davidson saw a 24-20 lead slip away to a 27-20 deficit after Dayton Flyer Gabe Macis got in the end zone. Trevor Smith of the Wildcats hit a 44 yard field goal at the end of regulation to send it to extra periods. After five overtimes, Dayton managed to score and hold off the last Wildcats drive to win.

JP Douglas had 313 passing yards and four touchdowns for Davidson, with William Morris collecting 158 of the yards and three of the scores.

Maybe the only game that played it straight as yearly power New Hampshire blew out a still tinkering Elon team. New Hampshire owned the first three quarters, running to a 48-0 lead. Elon got its two scores in the final period. Andre Davis had 92 yards receiving for the Phoenix.

It was a good one in Boiling Springs as the Bulldogs jumped out early on JJ Hubbard’s 95 yard kick return and held the lead til the half. The 49ers took the lead for the first time at 17-14 behind Branden Dozier’s pick six. With the score tied in the fourth quarter, quarterback Lucas Beatty found Deonte Swinton for a 71 yard touchdown. A field goal later made it a ten point game at 27-17. 49ers quarterback Matt Johnson responded with a strike of his own of 80 yards to Austin Duke, but the 49ers got no closer than 27-24.

Beatty had 362 yards passing for the Bulldogs. Swinton had seven receptions for 120 of those yards. Kenny Cook and Willie Jackson both had more than 70 yards receiving each.

For the 49ers, Johnson had 255 passing with 128 of it to Duke. Demarjai Devine had two catches for 114 and a touchdown. Khalif Phillips ran for 94 yards. Seems Johnson still throws too many INTs.

There were a couple good MEAC games yesterday too. Malcolm Bell powered the Eagles to an early lead over the Bison with two touchdown passes. A third touchdown in the fourth quarter made it a 27-9 game. Howard came back a little, but the score that got them to 22 occurred as time expired. Bell had 250 passing yards and those three scores to go with 66 rushing.

Here was another game that I had figured the other way. Yet it can easily be explained by turnovers. The Catamounts threw four picks in this game. The Blue Hose scored on two of them, one in the first quarter to make it 6-0 then another in the fourth quarter to win the game, since Western had pulled a 14-13 lead at that point.

The Aggies were shutout in Atlanta in what must have been a rather unexciting game.
There were lots of punts. The Aggies were without regular starter Kwashaun Quick (injury) at quarterback and perhaps that was the difference