Carolina Panthers Update: 10/2

facebooktwitterreddit

It’s been a busy week for the Carolina Panthers. There are more running back injuries and then there is Steve Smith releasing his rage on the Panthers front office. The idea that Smith was after Gettleman and possibly Rivera this whole time should surprise no one. Smith had made comments earlier suggesting he had nothing but respect for the Richardsons, so that kind of limited his potential rage targets. Here are some other stories drifting around.

More from Cam Newton

1.Exit DeAngelo Williams. Enter Jonathan Stewart?

I think the running back hydra that used to be the Carolina Panthers missed the point. Being a large multi-headed monster works best when you have all the heads to work with. Trading heads does not maximize the process.

Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer reported that Williams is now in a hard cast, which likely means he is gone for multiple weeks. But when one goes on the injury list, one will rise…

Aug 23, 2014; Cleveland, OH, USA; Cleveland Browns running back Chris Ogbonnaya (25) tosses the ball after he runs into the end zone on a play that is called back due to a penalty against the St. Louis Rams at FirstEnergy Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

Ed Werder of ESPN reports that Ron Rivera is hopeful that Jonathan Stewart can play against Chicago. However that just might be gamesmanship.

So, we go with Darrin Reaves and Chris Ogbonnaya. I support this plan and I am glad to be a part of it.

2.Kelvin Benjamin named NFL offensive rookie of the month

Benjamin has continued to deliver early in his rookie season. Benjamin has three touchdowns and 329 receiving yards. At this pace he would finish with over 1200 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns, which would probably please most fantasy owners out there.

3.Are we unleashing Cam Newton or not?

With Cam’s ankle and rib issues, it is not surprising that you have not seen the battering Cam running against recent foes. I also do not think you will see him until the ankle is fully healthy. So Ron Rivera’s quotes about using Cam more are likely a smokescreen just to make other teams think.