Dick Vitale Puts Duke, UNC in preseason Top 25

facebooktwitterreddit

ESPN College Basketball analyst and personality Dick Vitale has released his top 25 teams for the upcoming basketball season. He really released his top forty, just there is very little detail about the last fifteen. Let’s look at what Vitale had to say about some of the schools in the Old North State.
For a guy who is sometimes referred to as ‘Dookie V,’ his pick at number two behind Kentucky is not surprising. Just try to remember who he picked at number 5, when I get there.

More from Duke Blue Devils

“2. Duke: Jabari Parker is now with the Milwaukee Bucks, but Coach K has a great group of newcomers at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones will have a major impact. Rasheed Sulaimon, Quinn Cook and Amile Jefferson are among the hungry players returning. Krzyzewski will contend for a fifth national title.”

Duke had an offense that ran through its 3+4 men last year, but I suspect Coach Krzyzewski is ready for a real point guard again. That would look like Tyus Jones. Okafor is a big man in the middle at 6’11” 270 and will have no trouble dominating the paint if he has the skills to match that body. Can Sulaimon be happy as a role player?

A little further down is Duke’s major rival, the North Carolina Tar Heels. Here’s what Vitale said about them:

“5. North Carolina: Marcus Paige will be among the star of stars, the elite All-Solid Gold leader of a solid Tar Heels squad. Kennedy Meeks, Brice Johnson & Co. join a talented group of diaper dandies as Roy Williams has a top-five threat.”

Live Feed

NFL rumors: 7 QBs Raiders already need to be targeting for their future
NFL rumors: 7 QBs Raiders already need to be targeting for their future /

FanSided

  • UNC Women's Basketball: Ivory Latta headline SCAHOF class of 2024Keeping It Heel
  • UNC Basketball: CBS Sports Classic Preview vs KentuckyKeeping It Heel
  • UNC Football: D.J. Jones enters transfer portalKeeping It Heel
  • UNC Football: Corey Gaynor declares for NFL DraftKeeping It Heel
  • 5 teams that should sell the farm to trade up, draft Drake MayeFanSided
  • I agree with Vitale that North Carolina will have a deep roster. I also agree that Paige is the best player on the team, but Roy Williams teams work best when the point guard shares the ball. The question for the Heels should if there is enough shooting around Paige. If there isn’t, teams will figure Paige out pretty fast.

    The final thing to mention is the 26-40 list and its one area inclusion:

    “30. NC State”

    Could be some good basketball in the triangle this year.