Preview: Bring on the NOLES! NC State/Florida State

facebooktwitterreddit

It’s official.  An undefeated NC State (4-0) will host #1 ranked Florida State Seminoles (3-0) in Raleigh this weekend.  For a while last Saturday night it did not look like the undefeated matchup would happen.  FSU held on to beat a determined Clemson squad hellbent on upending the top team in the nation despite benching their All-American knucklehead .   Last spring when the ACC schedule was released few if any saw this Saturday’s game a having much significance on the ACC race, much less the national landscape.  And to be honest I’m not sure many folk today, other than Wolfpack faithful, think the outcome will be anything but a Seminole romp.  Conventional wisdom says FSU will win this game by a comfortable margin.  That may happen, but if you know anything about this series…I wouldn’t bet the farm just yet.

Seminoles quarterback Jameis Winston. Mandatory Credit: Melina Vastola-USA TODAY Sports

Yes, Florida State has dominated the Wolfpack since they entered the ACC in 1992.  But no non-Florida team has enjoyed as much success in upsetting FSU than NC State.  Beginning in 1998  when a Mike O’Cain led Wolfpack shocked the world by defeating then #2 ranked Seminoles 24-7 for what was only FSU’s second ACC loss at that time.  In comes Chuck “the chest” Amato who had been a longtime FSU assistant to continue the trend.  Amato brought a lot of Florida State’s bravado and flash to Raleigh as his teams reeled off wins in 2001, 2002, 2005 and 2006.  In fact, the last two meetings (2010 and 2012)  in Raleigh were huge upsets for the Pack.

More from North Carolina State Wolfpack

What effect quarterback Jameis Winston will have when he returns for FSU is unknown.  My hope is he will be rusty and the team suffers from a bit of overconfidence and lax attitude.  As for the Wolfpack, this is an opportunity to show everyone that Dave Doeren’s program can be a contender.  A loss here is not all bad though.  What’s important is that NC State be competitive, keep the game within reach and you never know.  Now if the Wolfpack goes out Saturday and lays a Tarheel sized egg allowing the Seminoles to drop 60 or 70 points on them…that would be bad.   REALLY bad.  My guess is that won’t happen.  Too much recent history here.

Seminole head coach Jimbo Fisher is winless in Raleigh and Florida State leads the overall series between the two teams by a 22-11 margin since 1952.  Not a bad ratio against one of the most dominant teams in the last 30 years.

So, if you must…go ahead and bet that farm.  It just may be a little riskier than you think.

When: Saturday,  9/27/14

Time: 3:30pm

Where: Carter-Finley Stadium, Raleigh, NC