Jonathan Stewart, Mike Tolbert have MRIs

facebooktwitterreddit

Anybody remember 2005? The Panther campaign where every running back we had got hurt at one time or another? DeShaun Foster went down. Stephen Davis went to IR even though he probably could have kept playing. We were making things work with Nick Goings, who was taken out in the first quarter of our playoff game against Seattle. That meant that the Panthers tried to win a NFC Championship with Jamal Robertson as our primary runner. Guess what, it didn’t work.

More from Carolina Panthers

This year seems to be leaning toward 2005 levels of running back craziness. Jonathan Stewart was out during parts of training camp and week 1 against Tampa Bay. He came back only for DeAngelo Williams to go down with an injury. Fozzy Whittaker, who had a fine preseason, also got an injury and has been out. That was fun enough right there.

However it gets more fun. During the Pittsburgh Steelers loss, both Stewart (knee) and fullback Mike Tolbert (leg) left the field early. Both were due to have MRIs today, and the three letters M,R, and I are not words letters you want to see. Unless you are in Russia, where Mir is a village or a former space station.

Live Feed

Dolphins' huge loss and Chiefs' defeat add to the AFC playoff race excitement
Dolphins' huge loss and Chiefs' defeat add to the AFC playoff race excitement /

BuffaLowDown

  • NFL playoffs: Breaking down the massive six-way Wild Card tie in the AFCNFL Spin Zone
  • Patriots News: DeAndre Hopkins, Mac Jones, Jerod Mayo and Taylor SwiftMusket Fire
  • Las Vegas Raiders vs Los Angeles Chargers: Early Week 15 odds and predictionJust Blog Baby
  • Dream NY Jets first-round pick officially declares for 2024 NFL DraftThe Jet Press
  • Commanders vs. Rams prediction, odds, spread, injuries, trends for NFL Week 15Ramblin' Fan
  • So who is the Panthers starting running back right now, at this very instant? Cam Newton. Okay, it is undrafted rookie free agent Darrin Reaves, who was previously on the practice squad for the Panthers. The 5’9” 210 lbs former University of Alabama-Birmingham Blazer better be ready more lots of reps in practice. Reaves played three years at UAB and accumulated 2343 yards and 27 touchdowns on the ground. His best year was 2012 when he ran for 1037 yards and 13 touchdowns.

    No offense to Reeves, but the Panthers need for the MRIs on Stewart and Tolbert to come back negative. Otherwise we are just spitballing on offense.