Wake Forest Demon Deacons Neuter Gardner-Webb Bulldogs 23-7

facebooktwitterreddit

How often do we say lightning struck at a football game and actually mean it? The Wake Forest Demon Deacons beat Gardner-Webb 23-7 in a game that was delayed almost an hour by lightning in Winston-Salem. It was not a perfect performance from Wake Forest, but there were enough good signs to build on for the future.

More from Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Play of the Game

After playing with three field goals that kept the Bulldogs in it, the Demon Deacons finally struck when freshman quarterback John Wolford threw a ten yard touchdown pass to EJ Scott. That produced the margin that the Bulldogs could not catch with a single lucky score. The Deacons only expanded their lead from there.

Were You There When…

The game stopped due to the lightning caused by severe thunderstorms that threatened much of western North Carolina. Game stoppages are unfortunate, because the game will never return to way it was before. Maybe the score will end up about like it was, but momentum will be lost. This can hurt teams just starting to pull away or teams in the middle of a comeback run.

Sep 6, 2014; Winston-Salem, NC, USA; Wake Forest Demon Deacons quarterback John Wolford (10) throws a pass during the first quarter against the Gardner-Webb Runnin Bulldogs at BB&T Field. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

I Want Him on My Team

John Wolford, QB

I feel like I am kinda cheaping out on these things by taking Wolford here and Boone in the Duke game. If I take Carden and Williams on the remaining post game reports, then you can really start to wonder. Wolford played a good game here. Lack of pressure allowed him to throw for 30 of 38 passes and 291 yards. He also had the second most carries in the run game though his average there was 2.4. Still, kudos to the freshman for getting his first win.

Final Thoughts

I thought Wake looked lost on offense against Louisiana-Monroe in week 1. They at least got some things to work here. Their defense continued to play well, getting 3 interceptions and 5 sacks on the game. The next challenge will be to remember what this felt like and put it on the field out in Logan, UT against Utah State.

Please like our Facebook page, here.