Cam Newton’s Status Up in Air?

facebooktwitterreddit

Doubt continues to linger about the health of Cam Newton as he continues to be held out of practices before the Tampa Bay game. Today Joe Person of Charlotte Observer reports that Coach Ron Rivera still believes that Newton will play Sunday in the season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

More from Cam Newton

Newton sustained cracked ribs in a freak injury against the New England Patriots in the third preseason game. Person writes that Newton continues to feel soreness from that injury. Newton did not play in the final preseason game against the Steelers.

Rivera used a lot of coachspeak like “I’m optimistic. I expect him to be there, and we’ll see how it unfolds…We’ve got to look at this as we go through it day by day.”

A side note of the article by Person was that Derek Anderson had no qualms about playing if need be. Anderson suffered a hand injury against the Steelers in the final preseason game. Joe Webb made the Panthers roster as insurance for just this type of thing.

By now it is hard to see the truth behind Rivera’s words. It is safe to say he does not know for certain, but he has to know that leaving the question open like this is decent strategy. Now Lovie Smith does not know whether to plan for Newton or Anderson or both as he gets ready for the game. My guess is that the next thing we will hear is that Cam is a game-time decision. I would lean toward him playing, but Tampa’s defensive line is no joke.

“I’m optimistic. I expect him to be there, and we’ll see how it unfolds…We’ve got to look at this as we go through it day by day.” – Ron Rivera

Anderson and Kelvin Benjamin went out their way to say that Newton will play to minimize any controversy. However, the longer the official decision lingers, the more nervous we are going to get.

Please like our Facebook page, here.