Duke Blue Devils Prevent Elon Phoenix Resurrection, 52-13

facebooktwitterreddit

The Duke Blue Devils played the Elon Phoenix in what must have been the most normal matchup between one of the Big Four schools and an FCS squad. Duke took control of the game early and never relinquished it. The Elon offense never scored a touchdown until the fourth quarter, and by then it was too late. The score got to 52-13 which was just three points off of my pregame prediction. Couldn’t you have missed a field goal, Elon?

More from Duke Blue Devils

Anthony Boone had an efficient evening, going 22/33 for a solid 66% completion rate. He also had 247 yards and 4 touchdowns. Backup running back Thomas Sirk came in the game in the fourth quarter and scored twice on his own.

Play of the Game

Anthony Boone threw a 46 yard pass over the shoulder of Jamison Crowder to make the score 14-3, and Duke was never in any significant danger again. Boone was well protected all night and used that to find his receivers, resulting in two touchdowns each for Isaac Blakeney and Crowder.

Were You There When…

Jamison Crowder dove as low you can to catch his second touchdown pass. At first I thought he had trapped it, but replay showed that he had cleanly snagged it. As for Crowder…

Live Feed

NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule
NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule /

Busting Brackets

  • NFL rumors: Kyler Murray sticking in AZ? Eagles mole, Joe Flacco's job just got even harderFanSided
  • AFC North Power Rankings: Browns, Ravens, and Bengals making playoff pushDawg Pound Daily
  • How Much is My Apex Legends Account Worth?DBLTAP
  • Joe Flacco's performance raises questions about the value of Deshaun Watson's record-breaking contractDawg Pound Daily
  • Fantasy Football: 3 must-start QBs that could carry you to the next round of playoffsFantasy CPR
  • I Want Him on My Team

    Jamison Crowder, WR

    Crowder simply produces. He isn’t the biggest guy and probably not the fastest either. Yet he turns n performances like tonight’s on a regular basis. Crowder caught seven balls for 93 yards. His best catches were his two touchdown grabs, with both were sort of described above. Crowder was joined by Blakeney and Max McCaffery in the receptions, helping to offset the absence of tight end Braxton Deaver.

    Final Thoughts

    Duke showed that it does have the kind of veteran team that will go out and do what needs to be done. In this case, blowing out the Phoenix early and keeping them down was what needed to happen. Boone and his receivers delivered with help from the line, the backs, the defense, and Ross Martin. I would so much rather be Boone and his squad right now than Brandon Connette and his.

    Please like our Facebook page, here.