Day 1 Complete at Wyndham Championship

facebooktwitterreddit

Round 1 of the Wyndham Championship in Greensboro has come to an end. We look at some of the story lines coming from Sedgefield Country Club (Par 70).

More from North Carolina Sports

Camillo Villegas leads at -7.

Colombian native Camillo Villegas leads the tournament after an opening round 63. According to CBSSports reports, this is Villegas’ first action since pulling out of the first round of the Canadian Open. Villegas reportedly needed to relax, which he did in his native country.

Villegas is one of the more recognizable players on tour, but not for any streak of dominant play. He is known as Spider-Man for his gangly form and unusual way of judging putts. Villegas last won a tournament in 2010.

There are several golfers right there with him.

William McGirt and Webb Simpson both shot opening round 64s to start one off the pace for round 2. Both are Carolinians.

Five 65s were posted, including Americans Scott Langley, Heath Slocum, and Andrew Loupe. Scotsman Martin Laird and Englishman Paul Casey also scored 65.

Nine golfers posted 66 to finish three back including Mike Weir, Johnson Wagner, and Tommy Gainey.

Live Feed

Bet on Si Woo Kim to continue to dominate the Wyndham Championship
Bet on Si Woo Kim to continue to dominate the Wyndham Championship /

Betsided

  • Is It Really Just Top 70 Who Will Keep Their PGA Tour Cards in 2024?Pro Golf Now
  • Rolling Back the BallPro Golf Now
  • Fortinet Championship Picks and Best Bets (PGA Tour Begins 2022-2023 Season at Silverado Country Club)Betsided
  • Davis Love Surprised by LIV Events; Looks Forward to Presidents CupPro Golf Now
  • Wyndham Championship DraftKings picks: Best PGA DFS golf lineupFanSided
  • Webb Simpson is playing well

    As we have been tracking, Webb needs to do well in the Wyndham to impress Tom Watson to make him one of the three captain’s picks for the Ryder Cup. With Tiger Woods now out of consideration, all three picks are in play. (Two if you like Keegan Bradley)

    Simpson was briefly tied for the lead before bogeying the 17th hole due to a fluke interaction with a spike mark. Otherwise the Wake Forest product is very much at home on this course.

    Nothing Is Settled…

    The Wyndham has a tradition of punishing early leaders, so no golfer should get too comfortable. Only one first day leader has won since 2008.

    Please like our Facebook page, here. We are striving for 100 likes.