Aug 8, 2014; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (1) on the sidelines during the second half of the game against the Buffalo Bills at Bank of America Stadium. Bills win 20-18. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports

Cam Newton, Williams, Stewart Return to Action

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Did you feel that something was missing Friday night. Like, I don’t know, Offense? Well if you thought watching the Panthers achieve 75 yards of total offense in the first half was an embarrassment, then good news! The Panthers have announced that quarterback Cam Newton, running back DeAngelo Williams, and running back Jonathan Stewart will be available for Sunday’s contest against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Before the game, I suggested that Kenjon Barner would see a fair amount of action. He did, and it wasn’t pretty. Yet Kenjon did the one thing that I demanded that he do, not fumble. The Oregon speedster had eight yards on eight carries.

Barner’s early entry into the game vs the Bills was caused by the absence of DeAngelo Williams. Williams sat out the game in order to rest. He will be back in action versus the Chiefs.

Jonathan Stewart suffered a mild hamstring injury in July, but the team announced he was back on the practice field on Sunday. This is an important year for Stewart, who claimed to be in his best physical shape back in June before the injury. He too will be available for the Chiefs game.

Finally there is the return of Cam Newton. It is likely that Newton could have played against the Bills, but was held out just to play it safe. Newton had ankle surgery in the off season and that was cited as the reason that he did not go. However this is the first preseason game we are talking about, and the New Orleans Saints held Drew Brees out with no lingering injury issues.

So the Panthers offense will again be whole against the Chiefs, and the offensive line will see what it can do when Cam is under center. Hopefully it is something more than 75 yards of total offense in a half.

Please like our Facebook page, here. We are striving for 100 likes.

Want more from Old North Banter?
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix.
Enter your email and stay in the know.

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Tags: Cam Newton Carolina Panthers DeAngelo Williams Jonathan Stewart

comments powered by Disqus