Carter Jenkins Wins CGA Carolinas Amateur Championship

facebooktwitterreddit

On July 13, UNCGSpartans.com reported that University of North Carolina at Greensboro sophomore Carter Jenkins had won the 100th annual Carolinas Golf Association Carolinas Amateur Championship. The tournament was held at Greenville Country Club (Chanticleer) in Greenville, South Carolina.

Jenkins is from Raleigh, North Carolina and represented Wildwood Green Golf Club.

“He beat me with a birdie, so I can’t complain.” – William Rainey of Charlotte, NC

The Event

The CGA Carolinas Amateur Championship is a yearly event held on a rotating set of courses in North and South Carolina. The field was full of amateurs from both states, though the Old North State seemed to have a better hold on the leaderboard.

Greenville Country Club (Chanticleer) was a par 72 course and is 6,836 yards long.

How did Carter Jenkins do it?

Jenkins found himself behind as William Rainey of Charlotte posted a five under score for the championship and was the leader in the club house. Jenkins birdied holes 13, 15, and 17 in order to force a playoff with Rainey. He then beat Rainey on the second hole of the playoff with a six foot putt for birdie.

Live Feed

Grant Thornton Invitational sends message fans need: Golf is fun and for everyone
Grant Thornton Invitational sends message fans need: Golf is fun and for everyone /

FanSided

  • Pro Golf becomes a circusPro Golf Now
  • 57 is the new 67: Record-low scores dominate Round 1 of Grant Thornton InvitationalFanSided
  • Jon Rahm to LIV Golf is the turning point the game (and PGA Tour) needsFanSided
  • Is Rahm A Big Gauntlet Toss in LIV’s Negotiating Manual or Just a Pawn?Pro Golf Now
  • Reigning Masters Champion, Jon Rahm, set to join LIV Golf for massive paydayFanSided
  • Rainey was magnanimous in defeat, offering “He beat me with a birdie, so I can’t complain.” as reported by Ron Gaines of Golfweek.

    Jenkins shot 69-74-70-70, reflecting steady play throughout the tournament. He turned nineteen the days following his victory, a fitting birthday present.

    Anything special about this particular victory?

    Carter Jenkins was not just this year’s winner of the Carolinas Amateur Championship, he was also the winner last year. Last year he won when the tournament was held at the gorgeous Kiowa Island Ocean course. There had not been a repeat winner in twenty-five years and repeat wins had only happened eight times previously. Here we have the case of a Spartan who clearly came back with his shield and not on it.