NC Players on NFC North Rosters

facebooktwitterreddit

Part 6 brings us into the NFC North division, called the NFC “Norris” division by ESPN’s Chris Berman. This highly confused me as a smaller fellow, thinking he was calling it the NFC ‘Norse’ division. In my defense that has a certain logic to it. The division contains the Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, and Minnesota Vikings. It is a division with very healthy rivalries, so let’s see how they are doing on collecting North Carolina talent.

Aug 29, 2013; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers wide receiver Armanti Edwards (14) warms up before the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Bank Of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports

CHICAGO BEARS

Shaun Draughn –RB –North Carolina
Armanti Edwards –WR –Appalachian State
Lee Peques –DT –East Carolina
Adrian Wilson –S –NC State
CJ Wilson –CB –NC State
Willie Young –DE –NC State

Chicago has several interesting pieces in its camps this year. Appalachian State folk hero Armanti Edwards is looking for a new start after several years with the Carolina Panthers. There is a trio of Wolfpackers here headlined by veteran former Pro Bowl safety Adrian Wilson, who is looking to extend his career as the Bears defense tries to right itself from last year.

Nov 28, 2013; Detroit, MI, USA; Detroit Lions middle linebacker Stephen Tulloch (55) sacks Green Bay Packers quarterback Matt Flynn (10) during the second quarter during a NFL football game on Thanksgiving at Ford Field. Mandatory Credit: Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports

DETROIT LIONS

Rodney Austin –G –Elon
Eric Ebron –TE –North Carolina
Justin Jackson –OB –Wake Forest
Sam Martin –P –Appalachian State
Steven Miller –RB –Appalachian State
Andrew Peacock –WR -Appalachian State
Xavier Proctor –DE -North Carolina Central
Stephen Tulloch –LB –NC State

I think I was pretty close to crowning Chicago as the king of North Carolina invitees. Then came the Lions. The Lions not only have the most invitees so far, but they have our first entrants from Elon and North Carolina Central. They also have three Appalachian invitees. And don’t forget highly touted first round pick Ebron and solid linebacking performer Tulloch.

More from Carolina Panthers

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Carlos Gray –OT –NC State
Julius Peppers –LB –North Carolina
Jumal Rolle –RB –Catawba
Ryan Taylor –TE –North Carolina

On the more interesting moves of the off season was the move of Julius Peppers from the Chicago Bears to their rival Green Bay Packers. With it Peppers moved from the 4-3 DE spot to the 3-4 OLB which he had been rumored to covet. He also took #56, Lawrence Taylor’s number. This change may work or it may not. Greg Ellis once made a similar move in Dallas, and it worked well enough. We also get our first Catawba College entry with Rolle.

Jun 17, 2014; Eden Prairie, MN, USA; Minnesota Vikings safety Brandan Bishop (30) goes to the next drills at practice at Winter Park. Mandatory Credit: Bruce Kluckhohn-USA TODAY Sports

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Brandan Bishop –S –NC State
Audie Cole –LB –NC State
Lindval Joseph –DT –East Carolina
Jabari Price –CB –North Carolina

The Vikings defense has always been defined by its defensive lines, which makes Lindval Joseph a good fit in Minnesota after his time in New York. The NFC North division as a whole has included more North Carolina camp invitees than any other so far. It also has good storylines as Peppers and Wilson try to finish off Pro Bowl careers.