Duke Dominates Preseason Football Watch Lists

facebooktwitterreddit

From the last time that we looked at Preseason Watch Lists, several more College Football award committees have named their initial watch lists. For Hornung, Maxwell, and Bednarik lists, look here.

The John Mackey Award- The Best Tight End in College Football

Local Candidates-
Braxton Dever– TE- SR- Duke

Starting to think they really like Duke football this year. Possible snub would be Jack Tabb of UNC, who will be the primary weapon at the position now with Eric Ebron playing in the NFL

Dec 7, 2013; Charlotte, NC, USA; Duke Blue Devils center Matt Skura (62) and Florida State Seminoles linebacker Telvin Smith (22) reach for the ball after Seminoles defensive back Nate Andrews (29) forced a fumble by Blue Devils quarterback Anthony Boone (7) in the third quarter at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

The Rimmington Trophy- The Best Center in College Football

Local Candidates-
Matt Skura- C- JR- Duke

Unproven offensive linemen abound in state schools this year.

The Lou Groza Award- The Best Kicker in College Football

Local Candidates-
Niklas Sade– K- SR- NC State

State had a hard time scoring last year and sometimes this is a back handed compliment to the kicker that they had to settle for so many field goals. If State has a strong year, Sade is less likely to win the Groza, because those field goals will hopefully become touchdowns.

Oct 5, 2013; Blacksburg, VA, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels punter Tommy Hibbard (30) punts the ball in the first quarter at Lane Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

The Ray Guy Award- The Best Punter in College Football

Local Candidates-
Tommy Hibbard- P- SR- North Carolina
Will Monday- P- JR- Duke

Big fan of Hibbard, mostly because he is from Charlotte. He played his high school ball for Butler.

The Bronko Nagurski Award- The Best Defender in College Football

Local Candidates-
Kelby Brown- LB- SR- Duke
Jeremy Cash- S- JR- Duke

You can see cross over with the Bednarik. I am thinking that we really don’t play much defense in this state.

The Outland Trophy- The Best Interior Lineman in College Football (Offense or Defense)

Local Candidates-
Laken Tomlinson- G- SR- Duke

See comments on Rimmington Award.

Live Feed

NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule
NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule /

Busting Brackets

  • NFL rumors: Kyler Murray sticking in AZ? Eagles mole, Joe Flacco's job just got even harderFanSided
  • AFC North Power Rankings: Browns, Ravens, and Bengals making playoff pushDawg Pound Daily
  • How Much is My Apex Legends Account Worth?DBLTAP
  • Joe Flacco's performance raises questions about the value of Deshaun Watson's record-breaking contractDawg Pound Daily
  • Fantasy Football: 3 must-start QBs that could carry you to the next round of playoffsFantasy CPR
  • Takeaways

    Based only on the information taken from these watch lists, I would predict that Duke should have a good year in football this year. The other schools are not as well represented. There are still awards we have not yet seen, so look out next week for those.