Tiger Woods Unlikely To Play In U.S. Open

facebooktwitterreddit

Mar 9, 2014; Miami, FL, USA; Tiger Woods reacts after a putt on the 3rd green during the final round of the WGC – Cadillac Championship golf tournament at TPC Blue Monster at Trump National Doral. Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports

Tiger Woods isn’t sure when he will be able to return to playing competitive golf following his recent back surgery. That means a visit to Pinehurst No. 2 in June for the U.S. Open is in doubt.

Woods made it clear during a press conference on Monday to promote the tournament he hosts–the Quicken Loans National at Congressional Country Club that there was no definite time-table for his return.

Woods said that he has not been able to hit any full shots since his surgery on March 31. He said he has been able to chip and putt, but will leave the timing of his return to the advice of his doctors and trainers.

Woods said that his back had become so painful that he had doubts about whether he would ever be able to play golf again.

“Forget about playing golf at the highest level. I couldn’t get out of bed,” Woods said. “I was certainly doubtful at that point. What’s it going to feel like? Am I going to be pain-free? Am I going to be able to actually do this again, where I can to get out of bed, and go out there and play with my kids and play golf? All those things were up in the air.”

Woods was the runner-up to Michael Campbell in the 2005 U.S. Open at Pinehurst, and was tied for third in 1999, two shots back of champion Payne Stewart.

Woods has already missed the Masters this year and has not played since the final round of the WGC-Cadillac Championship on March 9.

He lost his No. 1 spot in the World Rankings to Adam Scott on Monday.

“I’d love to play, but I just don’t know,” Woods said. “And as I said, that’s one of the more frustrating things. There’s no date, there’s no timetable. Just taking it day by day and just focusing on trying to get stronger and come back.

“I want to play today, but that’s just not going to happen. So just taking it step by step.”