Greg Hardy Arrested Following Domestic Incident

facebooktwitterreddit

Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports.

Greg Hardy, the All-Pro defensive end for the Carolina Panthers, was arrested early Tuesday morning following a domestic dispute with his girlfriend.

Hardy, who led the Panthers will 15 sacks last season, was given the franchise tag during the offseason and will make $13.1 million next season.

According to the police report, officers responded to a call for an alleged domestic violence incident at 4:18 a.m. in Charlotte. A woman who claimed to be Hardy’s girlfriend told officers that she had physically assaulted and threatened by Hardy.

Hardy will spend Tuesday night in jail and will appear before a judge Wednesday at 9 a.m.

“We are very disappointed to learn of the allegations involving Greg and are concerned for all parties as we continue to investigate,” the Panthers said in a prepared statement.

Hardy was a sixth-round pick of the Panthers in 2010. He has a history of making some poor decisions, including a motorcycle accident before training camp in 2011 and tweeting some pictures from a car he was driving that showed a reading of 100 mph on the speedometer.

Panthers GM Dave Gettleman has said he would like to ink Hardy to a long-term deal.

How this incident and the aftermath may affect Gettleman’s plans now remains to be seen.