Kony Ealy Adds Depth To Panthers D-Line

facebooktwitterreddit

Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Kony Ealy gives the Carolina Panthers defense another potent weapon on the defensive line.

Ealy was drafted in the second round (No. 60 overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft, adding to an already ferocious defensive front-four that helped the Panthers defense to an NFL-best 60 sacks last season.

Ealy, a 6-4, 273-pound from Missouri, was an All-SEC pick last season and recorded 9.5 sacks and 43 tackles during his senior season.

GM Dave Gettleman called Ealy a “blue goose pass rusher” in a media conference call on Friday, and said that the Panthers had Ealy graded as a first-round talent.

“I was shocked that he was still there,” Said Gettleman, referring to Ealy’s draft position in the second round. “We had a first-round value on Kony. He was the highest rated guy on our board at that point.”

Ealy said he is eager to get going in an effort to contribute to a team loaded with talent on defense, and hopes to soak in as much as he can from veterans Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy.

“It’s a special group, and I’m going to try to learn as much as I can,” Ealy said. “I had a great workout with Coach Eric Washington and got a good feel for the things they like to do with their defensive line. I can’t wait to be a part of that.”