Kelvin Benjamin Ready To Roll For Panthers

facebooktwitterreddit

Kelvin Benjamin enjoyed a whirlwind first day less than 24 hours removed from being drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft by the Carolina Panthers.

Benjamin, the 28th overall pick, flew to Charlotte to meet with Coach Ron Rivera, wide receiver coach Ricky Proehl, general manager Dave Gettleman, and team owner Jerry Richardson.

Then, Benjamin had time to meet with members of the local media during a news  conference and expressed his desire to hit the ground running.

“I was really hoping I could just start practicing with the guys today,” said Benjamin, who will wear No. 13 for the Panthers. “I’m just so happy, so excited. I’m ready to get in here and start playing.”

One person Benjamin just missed Friday was Carolina quarterback Cam Newton. Newton did try reaching out by calling Benjamin, but Benjamin said his phone was charging when Newton’s call came through and he missed it.

Gettleman said that Benjamin has what it takes to become a No. 1 receiver, and Benjamin said he was ready for the challenge. He also understands he has plenty of work to do to get acclimated to the professional game.

“In due time,” Benjamin said. “I just have to put the work in. That’s what I plan on doing.”