Kirk Muller Fired By Carolina Hurricanes

facebooktwitterreddit

Kirk Muller was fired by the Carolina Hurricanes Monday after compiling a 80-80-27 record since becoming the team’s coach 25 games into the 2011-12 season.

Muller failed to take the Hurricanes, who won the Stanley Cup in 2006, to the playoffs during his time on the bench.

Assistant coaches John MacLean and Dave Lewis were also relieved of their duties, and goaltending coach Greg Stefan was moved to a role in the scouting department.

Rod Brind’Amour, a former team captain will remain as one of the coaches.

“We thank Kirk, John and Dave for their time and effort during the past three seasons,”  Francis said in a press release on Monday. “Kirk and his staff worked very hard, but we feel that the team is in need of a fresh start at this time.”

New general manager Ron Francis, hired last week to take over for Jim Rutherford, will get to hand-pick Muller’s successor.

Francis most likely wanted to act quickly in finding a new coach, with the Hurricanes job one of five positions currently open.