Danny Manning retains Randolph Childress to complete coaching staff at Wake Forest

facebooktwitterreddit

Credit: Ivan Pierre Aguirre-USA TODAY Sports

Danny Manning looked into Wake Forest’s past to help cement its future by retaining former All-American guard Randolph Childress to complete his coaching staff.

Manning, hired on April 4 to succeed Jeff Bzdelik, already announced the hirings of Steve Woodberry and Brett Ballard as assistant coaches and Justin Bauman as the Director of Basketball Operations. Woodberry, Ballard, and Bauman all served on Manning’s staff at Tulsa.

Childress, who served as an assistant under Bzdelik last season, can help Manning bridge the learning curve with his new team.

Childress has been with the program since 2011 and has established relationships with the players already, including rising juniors Devin Thomas and Codi Miller-McIntyre.

Childress served an administrative role with the team in 2011, then was named the Director of Player Development in 2012. He was elevated to assistant coach for the 2013-14 season, when the Deacons finished with their best record under Bzdelik at 17-16, which included wins against Duke and North Carolina.

“I am excited to be staying at Wake Forest and joining Coach Manning’s staff,” Childress said in a press release. “Wake Forest is a special place. This is where I have always wanted to be, and I look forward to working with the new staff and Danny.”

Childress was an All-American during the 1994 and 1995 seasons and was the ACC Tournament MVP in 1995 after leading the Deacons to their first tournament championship in 33 years.

Childress ranks second in career points at Wake with 2,208 and was inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame in 2011.

“Randolph is one of the best and most beloved players in the history of Wake Forest basketball,” Manning said. “His connection to Wake Forest, from current players, to former players, to alumni and fans, is something I feel is valuable to have on my staff. I have gotten to know Randolph, and he is someone who I think is going to be a star in the coaching profession.”

The hiring of Childress could also mean that he and Manning make a formidable twosome for players-coaches two-on-two challenges.