NCAA Tournament: Davidson Wildcats Give Marquette a Free Win

facebooktwitterreddit

It’s been a rough day for millions of college basketball fans as they say their brackets quickly begin to take a turn for the losers brackets. The Davidson Wildcats almost created a nightmare themselves for fans who filled out brackets.

Mar 21, 2013; Lexington , KY, USA; Davidson Wildcats forward De

The game was all but theirs, but sloppy turnovers and not running time off the clock in the closing minutes came back to haunt them in the end. It gave Marquette just enough time on the clock to shoot the three and then allow Vander Blue to put the layup in for the 59-58 point victory over Davidson. Marquette was at least kind enough to give the Wildcats 1 second to potentially make a shocking deep throw for the win.

"“All I was thinking was, `if I get to the rim, I have to finish,” said Blue, who scored seven of Marquette’s final 10 points including a 3-pointer with 28 seconds left. “I’m not ready to go home, I know our team’s not ready to go home."

Jake Cohen led Davidson with twenty points and a rebound and an assist.

Vander Blue led the Golden Eagles in scoring with sixteen points. Chris Otule and Trent Lockett each had eleven rebounds.

Are you a Davidson Wildcats fan? You could be the next great Wildcats sports writer! Click here to apply and email Bryant to join the Old North Banter team! Follow Bryant on Twitter @bryantdouglass!