NFL Mock Draft 2013: Will the Carolina Panthers Draft a Cornerback?

facebooktwitterreddit

It seems the biggest need for the Carolina Panthers is at the defensive tackle position, but yet, some of the recent transactions are starting to leave some wonder if they will pursue another position. While the best time to draft a tackle is in the first round, it seems the Panthers may pursue another position in the first round.

Dec 22, 2012; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith (89) throws the ball into the crowd after a touchdown catch in the first quarter at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

In the off-season so far the Panthers have released Chris Gamble (who retired days later) and have struggled to agree to terms with Captain Munnerlyn who played behind Gamble and eventually started in his place when he was injured last season. They signed Drayton Florence to add depth to the position before signing DJ Moore yesterday.

All of these news names will join Josh Thomas and Josh Norman. With these four defensive backs, the Panthers certainly have depth at the position. However, they are still missing one key to the defensive back puzzle.

A true No. 1 cornerback!

Chris Gamble barring any injuries he would have, was a solid starter and fit the mold. He, however, always stayed injured most of the time and was a real liability for the Panthers who are trying to build a new team based on youth and talent. Yes, veteran leadership is going to be needed, but where is the leadership when a player sits out over half the season?!

DeMarcus Milliner is the draft’s no. 1 cornerback. I’d be shocked if he is still hanging around after the first ten picks. So he’s automatically off the board for Carolina.

Florida State’s Xavier Rhodes is a fast, skilled, and excellent cornerback. He has all of the potential to be a star in the NFL and a first string starter.

Another player I like and think fits Carolina is Johnthan Banks from Mississippi State. I don’t think I’d let one miserable 40 yard dash ruin his reputation. He’s one of the best cornerbacks in the draft.

So who does Carolina draft and where will they play on the field?

Are you a Carolina Panthers fan? You could be the next great Panthers sports writer! Click here to apply now and email Bryant to join the Old North Banter team! Be sure to follow Bryant on Twitter @bryantdouglass!