NFL Free Agency: Former Carolina Panther Chris Gamble to Retire

facebooktwitterreddit

The Carolina Panthers released Chris Gamble just last week to make room for their salary cap and not he will be retiring from the game completely.

September 30, 2012; Atlanta, GA, USA; Atlanta Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez (88) runs with the ball against Carolina Panthers cornerback Chris Gamble (20) during the first half at the Georgia Dome. The Falcons defeated the Panthers 30-28. Mandatory Credit: Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

The always quiet cornerback, Chris Gamble, kept a rather private life and was hardly heard about. Now he will be “quietly” retiring from the National Football League after nine seasons, all of which he spent as a Carolina Panther.

Instead of getting in on the need for cornerbacks across the league, Gamble’s agent informed that he would rather retire than join the free agent market.

"“A number of teams have express interest in Chris Gamble. However, Chris informed me last night that he wants to retire. Even though he still loves football, he told me that he’s decided to focus on life after football. Chris has been a class act. I have represent him for nine years, ever since he came out of Ohio State. He’s been an ideal client and he was on of the best corners in the game. He’s doing it the right way. He has taken care of his money and his investments to retire successfully, and now I wish him the best in his future endeavors,” his agent said in a released statement."

He owns the team record for career interceptions at twenty-seven.

After a couple seasons where injuries have cost him playing time, the Panthers decided he wasn’t worth the price tag and released him.