NFL Free Agency: Cleveland Browns Interested In Carolina Panthers’ Captain Munnerlyn

facebooktwitterreddit

The Cleveland Browns have some money to spend in this year’s free agency and have already been contacting players and agents across the league. The Ohio.com is reporting that the Browns have been in contacted with Carolina Panthers’ Captain Munnerlyn’s agent.

Dec 16, 2012; San Diego, CA, USA; Carolina Panthers cornerback Captain Munnerlyn (41) looks across the line before the snap during the first quarter against the San Diego Chargers at Qualcomm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

With the free agent market opening later today at 4 p.m. (EST), the Browns are expected to pursue Munnerlyn heavily.

"“My heart’s in Carolina. I want to stay in Carolina. But at the same time, it’s a business and it’s about being productive. I feel like this past season I had a good year and hopefully I can get a good contract from it.” – Munnerlyn to the Charlotte Observer"

Browns are in need of a cornerback to compliment Joe Haden. They also have a need for a cornerback after releasing Dimitri Patterson to play the nickel corner.

Last season Munnerlyn played in 11 games after Chris Gamble was injured. He had sixty-one tackles and two interceptions. Both interceptions were returned for touchdowns.

In the off season the Browns hired former Panthers offensive coordinator, Rob Chudzinksi. With a connection now in Cleveland, this could be an easy move despite Munnerlyn wanting to stay in Carolina. Both coach and player know each other despite playing for opposite sides of the ball.