NFL Trade Rumors: Could Percy Harvin Be a Carolina Panther?

facebooktwitterreddit

Don’t get too excited, there is a reason rumors are called rumors. However, one rumor floated around on Thursday had Percy Harvin being traded to the Carolina Panthers.

Oct 25, 2012; Minneapolis, MN, USA; Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin (12) against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the Metrodome. The Buccaneers defeated the Vikings 36-17. Mandatory Credit: Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports

First I’d like to say, that this is nothing more than a rumor and I have absolutely no expectation that he will be a Panther come the fall. It’s just not a realistic rumor. Sure, he’d fit in, but the Panthers can’t afford him. Nor do I believe he is worth the price tag that he carries around.

The Panthers need to find a young, but experienced wide receiver to give Cam Newton yet another weapon.

Despite all of his glory and success, Steve Smith just isn’t going to be around much longer for the Panthers to rely on. Not to mention, the Panthers have relied on youth to restart their entire organization and performance.

2012 wasn’t a typical season for Harvin. He is much more productive, but injuries had other plans for the young wide receiver. He has 677 reception yards and just three touchdowns.

A year under the leadership of Smith could really help Harvin become a leader. In 2012, Smith recorded 1,174 yards and four touchdowns.

However, I don’t have high expectations for Harvin becoming a Panther anytime soon.