Mike Krzyzewski Will Not Coach Team USA

facebooktwitterreddit

It appears that we really have seen the last of Mike Krzyzewski as the head coach of the Team USA Men’s Basketball team at last year’s Olympics. Yesterday, he confirmed that at the conclusion of the Duke Blue Devils season, he will not return to Team USA.

Feb 10, 2013; Chestnut Hill, MA, USA; Duke Blue Devils head coach Mike Krzyzewski calls for a timeout during the second half against the Boston College Eagles at Conte Forum. Duke won 62-61. Mandatory Credit: Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

Krzyzewski was hired back in 2002 after a disappointing showing in the 2002 world championships. He coached the team to two gold medals in the Olympics, 2008 and 2012.

"“I’ve loved, loved, loved, and it’s been an honor being with the USA Basketball team,” Krzyzewski said. “And to coach the team and work with [chairman and president Jerry Colangelo] for seven years has been marvelous.”"

For now, Krzyzewksi still has a few years left in him to keep coaching the Duke Blue Devils, where his priority is beginning to change on getting them ready for the upcoming NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. This season, the Blue Devils are ranked No. 3 and are 24-3 overall.

But for now, the national team has seen the last of Coach K as their head coach and will begin the process to find a replacement.