UNC Football Recruiting: Will O’Briant To Walk On

It was the end of an era in Chapel Hill last season with Casey Barth’s injury. For nearly a decade the kicking job belonged to a Barth for the North Carolina Tar Heels. In 2013 it will now belong to someone new and outside of the family.

CHAPEL HILL, NC – NOVEMBER 10: The North Carolina Tar Heels wait to take the field for a game against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets during play at Kenan Stadium on November 10, 2012 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)

That job very well could be Will O’Briant. The Asheboro High School (Asheboro, North Carolina) senior signed last week with North Carolina as a preferred walk-on because of the loss of scholarships for the Tar Heels.

O’Briant signed that deal with high hopes of being their kicker next season, but said he would even settle as a punter if need be just to be a Tar Heel.

“I’ve been a Tar Heel fan my entire life,” he said. “All that matters to me is that I’m going to school at Carolina. It’s a big weight off of me.”

O’Briant comes from a soccer background which isn’t unusual for kickers and punters in football. He found a balance between playing soccer and football and has enjoyed being able to play with the football team.

He is now pursuing a lifelong dream of being a Tar Heel and will enroll this fall and go after the dream of kicking for the Heels when they take the field in Columbia to kick off their 2013 season!

Topics: Football, North Carolina Tar Heels, Will O'Briant

Want more from Old North Banter?
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.