Carolina Panthers would get discount from Chris Canty

facebooktwitterreddit

Former New York Giants defensive tackle Chris Canty is maybe the most sought-after player on the free agent market right now after the Giants opted to release him. Canty has visited with the Tennessee Titans and Kansas City Chiefs, but he is also being targeted by other teams such as the Carolina Panthers.

Photo by Andrew Mills/The Star-Ledger via USA TODAY Sports

The Charlotte native told CBS Charlotte that he would take a hometown discount to sign with the Panthers. Linebacker and team leader Thomas Davis has actively reached out to Canty about joining the Panthers and sent a text to Canty that said, “It’s time for you to come on home.” I’m guessing the fact that current Panthers GM Dave Gettleman was hired from the Giants and directly oversaw Canty is also a plus in bringing Canty back to Charlotte

Canty would have to take a hometown discount in order to sign with the Panthers, because the Panthers have the second-worst cap situation in the NFL behind only the New York Jets. Defensive tackle is certainly a huge need for the Panthers, and it is the biggest need of several for them. Canty is an excellent veteran pass rushers, and the 30-year-old can also make a decent impact in run defense. He’s a solid player overall, but the fact that he is more of an interior pass rusher than a run-stopper makes him less than a perfect fit for the Panthers needs at DT. Still, he is enough of an upgrade to the point where hooking him up to a discounted deal makes a lot of sense.

I have a feeling that if Chris Canty signs with the Panthers, then we’ll see Ron Edwards get his walking papers from the team. Edwards was actually better as a pass rusher than run defender this season and is making a little bit too much money for my liking, at least. He could help the team transition into the 3-4, but this past season showed that his run defense isn’t consistent enough for that.

You can follow Joe Soriano on Twitter @SorianoJoe.