Carolina Hurricanes Tim Gleason, Joni Pitkanen will not play Monday

facebooktwitterreddit

The Carolina Hurricanes will be missing two defensemen for tomorrow’s game against the Montreal Canadians, as both Joni Pitkanen and Tim Gleason will miss their second straight games. Pitkanen and Gleason are suffering from injuries that are classified as “lower body” ailments, and both players missed the Valentine’s Day tilt against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

Gleason and Pitkanen were absent at practice on Friday, per the Raleigh News and Observer, and head coach Kirk Muller said that both players would not take the plane to Montreal and make the trip there. The Habs won’t have to deal with either defenseman, which is a shame for the Hurricanes since Pitkanen has played so well this season.

So far this year, Pitkanen has put up six points in 12 games, and it looks like the 29-year-old has re-found his 2009 form when he totaled 40 assists. Pitkanen’s injury had him questionable to play against Toronto, and I thought he would actually be back and ready to play against the Canadians on President’s Day.

Chip Alexander’s piece touched on injured winger Tuomo Ruutu, and Ruutu has not resumed skating yet. Sadly, it seems like Hurricanes fans won’t be seeing Ruutu playing this season. I hope he’s able to get back on the rink and skate soon, and we can only continue to wish Ruutu the best in his rehab efforts after hip surgery.

It will also be tough for the ‘Canes to be without enforcer Gleason once again, who has already racked up 26 penalty minutes this season (he has two assists and ten shots on goal as well).

You can follow Joe Soriano on Twitter @SorianoJoe.