Chris Culliver Could Bring Super Bowl Glory to Garner

facebooktwitterreddit

The burgers are awaiting the grill and the beer is chilling in refrigerators all across America tonight. But for the residents of Garner, North Carolina; the Super Bowl means more than it ever has.

Jan 30, 2013; New Orleans, LA, USA; San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver (29) at a press conference at the Marriott New Orleans in advance of Super Bowl XLVII against the Baltimore Ravens. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The 24 year old Culliver made a name for himself in the state of North Carolina while playing football for Coach Nelson Smith at Garner Magnet High School just miles outside of the Raleigh city limits.

He was pursued heavily by the Florida Gators, North Carolina State Wolfpack, and the South Carolina Gamecocks. When the dust settled, it was Steve Spurrier and South Carolina who won the services of the six foot, one-hundred and ninety-nine pound cornerback from Garner.

While playing for Spurrier, Culliver earned a name for himself with his athleticism, speed, and awareness. He ranked third in the SEC history for kickoff returns and kickoff return yards.

In 2011 he was drafted by Jim Harbough and the San Francisco 49ers as the 80th overall pick in the draft in the third round.

Heading into the Super Bowl, Culliver has 47 tackles, 2 interceptions and a forced fumble. Despite all of the media attention of the Super Bowl and comments he made earlier this week he is focused and prepared for Sunday’s game.

"“It’s not all about myself. I pick up a lot from the older guys. We have to do the same thing we’ve been doing all year,” he told the Cleveland Post."

About to take the field to play in the nation’s most popular game and event of the year, Culliver is blessed for the opportunity. Just four years ago, he nearly died after complications from a routine shoulder surgery.

The 49ers collide with the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday in Super Bowl 47 at 6:30pm!