Dexter Strickland Has Big Talk for NC State: Can He Back It Up?

facebooktwitterreddit

Saturday night is going to be one of North Carolina’s biggest and more important games of the season. They will take the short trip from Chapel Hill and head down to Raleigh to play the North Carolina State Wolfpack at the PNC Arena.

Nov 19, 2012; Lahaina, HI, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels guard Dexter Strickland (1) dunks against the Mississippi State Bulldogs during the 2012 EA SPORTS Maui Invitational at the Lahaina Civic Center. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

North Carolina does have a few things on their side though, despite the many thoughts that they don’t have the team to beat State on their home court after some sloppy wins and stunning losses.

In the last week, the Wolfpack have lost two games. Maryland upset them by one point on the road and just last night a miserable Wake Forest team managed to take advantage of being at home against State and beat them by two points. That’s two road losses to two rather sorry teams to be rank for the Wolfpack.

Mark Gottfried is obviously very frustrated as is the team. Two losses in a weeks time to two teams that frankly…aren’t that good at all.

It’s also obvious that the players are getting frustrated too. Reports are saying that CJ Leslie skipped classes this morning after last night’s loss. TJ Warren also retweeted last night from Thomas De Thaey (who left the team in November) that read along the lines of what happened is what happens when you are a good recruiter but not a good coach. I’m sure Gottfried isn’t too happy about that!

On the outside it looks like the attitude in Raleigh is pretty much going to end State’s season at this point, however it could be the very big mouth of a Tar Heel that adds fuel to the fire and helps State get back on track with a win this Saturday.

Dexter Strickland had some very strong words for the Wolfpack in October. I’ve been very critical of Strickland this season whose statline doesn’t support the idea that he should be a starting player for North Carolina. Now he talked some big game, and he better get ready to back it up.

With a huge rivalry game coming up, it’s not shocking to see the fans bring up Strickland’s quotes.

"“They talk those guys up every single year and we beat them every single year,” Strickland said. “They are the least of our worries. Beat us one year and then they can talk smack. Until then, you can’t put them in the mix.”"

With the anger and frustration building in Raleigh, Strickland only made the fire larger than it already is now.