Wolfpack Upset the #1 Blue Devils: 84-76

The season for the NC State Wolfpack did not start out as planned with some losses to teams that should have been wins. They began to fall off of many people’s radars and many analysts had erased NC State as contenders. Today, the Wolfpack corrected them and proved their back and back in a big way!

Jan 12, 2013; Raleigh, NC, USA; North Carolina State Wolfpack fans storm the court after an upset of the Duke Blue Devils at PNC Arena. North Carolina State won 84-76. Mandatory Credit: Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports

Home-field advantage and the injury of Ryan Kelly all played out in State’s favor today in their 84-76 victory over the Blue Devils.

CJ Leslie scored twenty-five points, had six rebounds and two blocks.

“I thought our guys, they accepted the challenge,” Coach Mark Gottfried said. “It’s one of those (games) where it comes to a point where mentally you say, ‘I’m going to get it done’ and they’re not going to go away. … They’re not going to lay down for us. Our guys mentally showed a lot of toughness.”

The Blue Devils were led by Seth Curry with twenty-two points and five rebounds.

“I thought we played our butts off,” Coach Mike Krzyzewski said. “Our kids played with a lot of heart, their kids played with a lot of heart, and they were a little better than we were.”

Today’s Wolfpack victory marks the first time since 2004 that NC State has defeated Duke and it came at a critical time for the Wolfpack. It put them back on the radar and gave Duke potentially their only loss of the regular season.

Topics: Basketball, Duke Blue Devils, North Carolina State Wolfpack

Want more from Old North Banter?
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.
  • docmark

    Please learn the difference between there, their, and they’re. One doesn’t have to look at your contradictory posts and prognostications to discern that you are of below-average intelligence. All it takes is an analysis of your grammar.

    • Guest

      You know thanks for your insult. It means nothing. Just know you are human and you will make one too. You’re not perfect and we’re not Webster’s Dictionary! Mistakes happen. Sorry it bothers you. And I have been fairy fair in my posts about all teams.

    • Bryant Douglass

      Myself and our staff here at ONB work extremely hard, but sometimes we do let things slip. Between working full time, having a life and running this site and two other FS.com duties, it is hard to be perfect, but since you are a grammar expert I’d like to invite you to join our staff as a copy editor to ensure we don’t make these type of mistakes in the future. Thanks.

    • [email protected]

      So tired of hearing from the internet grammar police! Equating grammar with intelligence is like confusing education with intelligence……two different things!

  • http://www.musketfire.com/ Joe Soriano

    I wouldn’t call this an upset, because Duke was playing without their second best player (at least, in terms of performance this season) in Ryan Kelly. If you call this an upset, then you are selling N.C. State short. I know I picked Duke in this one, but this was not an upset. The Wolfpack have the most talented starting line-up in the ACC, they were at home, and Duke’s key freshmen were a little overwhelmed during their first true road game of their college basketball careers. That is especially true for Sulaimon, who claerly did not look himself in this one.