Carolina Panthers Fire Three Coaches

Panther’s head coach Ron Rivera went several days before knowing his fate for the 2013-14 season. The Panthers management approved to give Rivera another chance after turning the season around the finish 7-9 to tie division rivals Tampa Bay and New Orleans. However, that didn’t mean everyone’s job was safe.

Dec 30, 2012; New Orleans, LA, USA; Carolina Panthers head coach Ron Rivera paces the sidelines against the New Orleans Saints during second quarter of their game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

The Panthers have fired three assistant coaches on their staff.

John Settle, the running backs coach. Fred Graves, the wide receivers coach. Warren Belin, the linebackers coach.

Rivera said that “these coaches have played an instrumental role on our staff over the last two seasons. However, I have decided to go in a different direction at these positions.”

However after a dismal first season and start to the second season that wasn’t much better that his first season, Rivera was forced to make some changes.

His decision to hire and then fire these three coaches proves how tough it is for any coach to make the adjustment from the NCAA to the professional ranks of football.

Rivera has not hired replacements for these three positions, but said he is searching and they will be named at a later date.

Topics: Carolina Panthers, Ron Rivera

Want more from Old North Banter?
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.
  • http://www.musketfire.com/ Joe Soriano

    You know what’s funny? The Browns are interviewing Chud for their head coaching position. He wasn’t fired, but he certainly doesn’t deserve to re-join the Browns…as a head coach.

    Glad to see Graves go, the writing was on the wall a long time ago.

    • Bryant Douglass

      Why would anyone want to take over the Browns. The day they actually have a “semi-decent” season (as in 5+ wins) I’ll soil my own pants…

LIVEFeed More LOCAL news from the Fansided Network

Hot on the Web From golf.com