David Duggan Named Southern Miss Defensive Coordinator

facebooktwitterreddit

The crazy coaching carousel is nearly over and the North Carolina Tar Heels have nearly avoided losing anyone.

David Duggan joined the Tar Heels coaching staff from Southern Miss when Larry Fedora took the job last year and now Duggan will be returning to Southern Miss. The Golden Eagles new head coach Todd Monken has hired Duggan as his Defensive Coordinator and linebackers coach.

Duggan was co-defensive coordinator for the Golden Eagles in 2011 with Fedora. He has also coached at Brown, Colgate, Holy Cross and New Hampshire, in addition to spending several seasons as both a head coach and assistant in the NFL Europe league.

"“I am pleased with this outstanding group of coaches that have begun to make up our staff for the 2013 season,” Monken said. “It is a challenging process to blend together the right group of people to make up a staff and this group brings tremendous credentials as we continue to work hard in recruiting as well as getting ready for spring practice.”"

After setting school records and numbers with a 12-2 record that included a bowl victory in Fedora’s final season with the Golden Eagles, Southern Miss went winless this past season under coach Ellis Johnson who replaced Fedora. Bringing in Todd Monken is what the school hopes will get the team back on the path that Fedora had them before his departure.