Wolfpack Squeeze By UConn, 69-65

facebooktwitterreddit

The North Carolina State Wolfpack traveled up to the world famous Madison Square Garden to play the Connecticut Huskies in the Jimmy V Classic.

December 4, 2012; New York, NY, USA; North Carolina State Wolfpack forward Richard Howell (1) shoots over Connecticut Huskies forward Niels Giffey (5) during the second half of the second game of the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

The Wolfpack went North into hostile territory looking to get back on a winning path after losing to the Michigan Wolverines in their last game.

State really struggled in the first half with turnovers and it gave the Huskies a chance to battle back into the lead for a while, but Mark Gottfried got his team under control and they ended the first half with the lead again.

Lorenzo Brown led the Wolfpack in most of the stats with 16 points, 5 assist, 2 steals and 2 blocks. CJ Leslie took home 16 points and 13 rebounds.

"“I think this was a gutsy win and I thought we really defended better in the second half,” Gottfried said. “First half, (Connecticut’s) rebounding killed us. We were not rebounding the ball nearly as well as we can and they did a great job.”"

It was Richard Howell who showed up in the second half scoring all of his points in the half and gave everyone a different look that not many had seen from Howell.

The Huskies are in their first season without Jim Calhoun who retired after last season. While, not ranked, they’re not giving up and are showing they still have some strength despite some of the penalies and losses over the off season. They are now 6-2 on the season.

The 5-2 #25 Wolfpack will play host to the Cleveland State Vikings this Saturday in Raleigh!