Jonathan Stewart does not travel, ruled out

facebooktwitterreddit

The Carolina Panthers will unsurprisingly be without star running back Jonathan Stewart when they take on the Kansas City Chiefs this afternoon in Arrowhead, because Stewart did not make the trip  to Kansas City after being listed “doubtful” on the injury report. That doubtful tag was more like a “very doubtful” tag, and it’s a credit to Stewart that he wasn’t ruled out sooner.

Howard Smith-US PRESSWIRE

He’s been dealing with injuries all season, and that has led to the worst year of his career with a 3.6 yards per carry average. When he is playing, the former Oregon Ducks standout is playing through severe pain. Against the Philadelphia Eagles on Monday Night Football, he re-injured the right ankle that has been bothering him all season, and he also suffered a high-ankle sprain on his previously uninjured left ankle.

It’s just been that kind of a season for Stewart, and that’s pretty much how the season has went for the Panthers. So many key players have been injured this season, and I don’t think any team has been hit harder by injuries this year.

DeAngelo Williams will get the start against the Chiefs, while first-year Panther Mike Tolbert will receive more carries as the No. 2 back when he takes on an old rival.

I wish this game was postponed, but I mostly wish the Chiefs players and personnel (especially Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel) the best. To watch a member of you organization commit suicide before your eyes after thanking you for all that you done is something nobody should have to go through.

You can follow Joe Soriano on Twitter @SorianoJoe.