NC State Hires Dave Doeren as Head Football Coach

facebooktwitterreddit

North Carolina State University wasted absolutely not time in finding a new coach to lead their football team next season. Sonny Dykes was among many of the names mentioned, but it was someone that nobody really saw being a favorite for the job that got the offer.

Nov 30, 2012; Detroit, MI, USA; Northern Illinois Huskies head coach Dave Doeren on the sidelines in the third quarter of the 2012 MAC Championship against the Kent State Golden Flashes at Ford Field. Mandatory Credit: Andrew Weber-US PRESSWIRE

The Wolfpack and athletic director Debbie Yow announced they had hired Dave Doeren as the next head football coach at NCSU.

Doeren has spent the last two seasons at Northern Illinois and holds a record of 23-4 as a head coach.

"“I am honored and excited to join the Wolfpack. NC State has world-class facilities and fans that are second to none,” Doeren said to WRAL. “I want to thank Chancellor Woodson and Debbie Yow for this tremendous opportunity. My family and I can’t wait to get to Raleigh and become Wolfpackers. While I look forward to our future at State, I want to acknowledge and thank the Northern Illinois players and fans for their support the last two years, especially President Peters and Jeff Compher [athletic director].”"

His new job offer and acceptance comes just a day after winning the MAC Championship 44-37 over Kent State. He will be the 34th head football coach in the schools history replacing Tom O’Brien who was fired last weekend after a 7-5 season that included his first loss to North Carolina as head football coach at State.